CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23
The CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus is available on the CBSE website. Students can download the reduced and updated syllabus for the 2022-23 exams from here. The CBSE Biology Exams may be held in the month of March 2023. The practical exams will also be conducted by the CBSE-affiliated school for conceptual assessment. The result of the CBSE class 11th Biology exams will depend on students’ comprehension and evaluation skills. Students who opted for biology papers in class 11th will be bound to the same subject in class 12th also.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23
If you are interested in becoming a doctor or biotech officer then you should opt for the Biology subject in class 11. The subject syllabus is focused on providing a detailed composition of micro to macro-organisms in our environment. Understanding the real anatomy of all living organisms is fun with VSI.
Biology is one of the compulsory subjects of the Science stream. The new updated CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus allows students to:
- Get acquainted with the cell structure of plants and animals.
- Students also get familiar with human physiology and plant physiology.
- Due to the Covid-19 crisis, many new updated topics have been deleted for the 2022-23 examinations. Students should remember the reduced syllabus is only for the 2022-23 march exams.
- Complete Chapters 11, 12,15, and 20 are deleted from the updated syllabus. Some other topics are deleted from other chapters.
Also Check: Class 11 Date Sheet
Biology Syllabus Scope:
The updated CBSE Class 11 Biology syllabus will be covered in NCERT Books. Students can also download NCERT books in PDF format for the CBSE Class 11th Biology Syllabus from here. Students who have an interest in Biology subject can explore professional opportunities after 12th exams in some of the following popular areas:
- Medical researcher
- Space scientists,
- Atomic Researchers
- Adulteration Inspector
VSI is the best CA institute in India. We help students to prepare for CA exams. CA is one of the most searched professional courses after 12th. We provide exclusive online CA coaching for students from class 11th and 12th who want to enroll in the CA course after clearing their senior secondary exams 2022. We provide CA foundation coaching, CA intermediate coaching, and CA final coaching Under one roof.
We also provide 11th and 12th std CBSE affiliated study materials, sample papers, previous year question papers with suggested answer sheets for all the subjects of commerce, science, and arts Subject like English, Hindi, Marathi, Gujrati, Tamil, Humanities, Economics, Mathematics, Business Studies, Physics, Accounts, Chemistry, History and more.
Reduced CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022
Students can download the new updated syllabus for Class 11th Biology syllabus from here.
VSI provides CBSE class 11th syllabus of Accounts, Economics, Maths, Physics, Biology, English, and all the subjects of arts, commerce, and science students. The reduction in the course will be applicable only for annual exams of 2022. We are providing the latest updates and reduced syllabus here for our readers.
Updated CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus for 2022-23
Unit-I Diversity of Living Organisms
Chapter-1: The Living World What is living? Biodiversity; Need for classification; Three domains of life; binomial nomenclature;
Chapter-2: Biological Classification Five kingdom classification; Salient features and classification of Monera, Protista, and Fungi into major groups; Lichens, Viruses, and Viroids.
Chapter-3: Plant Kingdom Salient features and classification of plants into major groups – Algae, Bryophyta, Pteridophyta, Gymnosperms, and Angiosperms (salient and distinguishing features and a few examples of each category)
Chapter-4: Animal Kingdom Salient features and classification of animals, non-chordates up to phyla level and chordates up to class level (salient features and distinguishing features of a few examples of each category). (No live animals or specimens should be displayed.)
Unit-II Structural Organization in Animals and Plants
Chapter-5: Morphology of Flowering Plants Morphology and modifications:
Chapter-6: Anatomy of Flowering Plants
Chapter-7: Structural Organisation in Animals Animal tissues;
Unit-III Cell: Structure and Function
Chapter-8: Cell-The Unit of Life Cell theory and cell as the basic unit of life, structure of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells; Plant cell and animal cell; cell envelope; cell membrane, cell wall; cell organelles – structure and function; endomembrane system, endoplasmic reticulum, golgi bodies, lysosomes, vacuoles, mitochondria, ribosomes, plastids, microbodies; cytoskeleton, cilia, flagella, centrioles (ultrastructure and function); nucleus. 3
Chapter-9: Biomolecules Chemical constituents of living cells: biomolecules, structure, and function of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids; Enzymes- types, properties, enzyme action.
Chapter-10: Cell Cycle and Cell Division Cell cycle, mitosis, meiosis, and their significance
Unit-IV Plant Physiology
Chapter-11: Transport in Plants (deleted)
Chapter-12: Mineral Nutrition (deleted)
Chapter-13: Photosynthesis in Higher
PlantsPhotosynthesis as a means of autotrophic nutrition; site of photosynthesis, pigments involved in photosynthesis (elementary idea); photochemical and biosynthetic phases of photosynthesis; cyclic and non-cyclic photophosphorylation; chemiosmotic hypothesis; photorespiration; C3 and C4 pathways; Factors affecting photosynthesis.
Chapter-14: Respiration in Plants
Exchange of gases; cellular respiration – glycolysis, fermentation (anaerobic), TCA cycle and
electron transport system (aerobic); energy relations – number of ATP molecules generated;
amphibolic pathways; respiratory quotient.
Chapter-15: Plant – Growth and Development (deleted)
Unit-V Human Physiology
Chapter-16: Digestion and Absorption
Chapter-17: Breathing and Exchange of Gases Respiratory organs in animals (recall only); Respiratory system in humans; Mechanism of breathing and its regulation in humans – exchange of gases, transport of gases and regulation of respiration, respiratory volume; disorders related to respiration – asthma, emphysema, occupational respiratory disorders.
Chapter-18: Body Fluids and Circulation Composition of blood, blood groups, coagulation of blood; composition of lymph and its function; human circulatory system – Structure of human heart and blood vessels; cardiac cycle, cardiac output, ECG; double circulation; regulation of cardiac activity; disorders of the circulatory system – hypertension, coronary artery disease, angina pectoris, heart failure.
Chapter-19: Excretory Products and their Elimination Modes of excretion – ammonotelism, ureotelism, uricotelism; human excretory system – structure and function; urine formation, osmoregulation; regulation of kidney function – renin-angiotensin, atrial natriuretic factor, ADH and diabetes insipidus; the role of other organs in excretion; disorders – uremia, renal failure, renal calculi, nephritis; dialysis and artificial kidney, a kidney transplant.
Chapter-21: Neural Control and Coordination Neuron and nerves; Nervous system in humans – central nervous system; the peripheral nervous system and visceral nervous system; generation and conduction of nerve impulse;
Chapter-22: Chemical Coordination and Integration Endocrine glands and hormones; human endocrine system – hypothalamus, pituitary, pineal, thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, pancreas, gonads; mechanism of hormone action (elementary idea); the role of hormones as messengers and regulators, hypo – and hyperactivity and related disorders; dwarfism, acromegaly, cretinism, goiter, exophthalmic goiter, diabetes, Addison’s disease. Note: Diseases related to all the human physiological systems to be taught in brief.
Reduced CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus for Practicals.
Practical exams for CBSE Class 11th Biology is for 30 marks. Students need to present 2 experiments to score 21 marks. They also have to undergo VIVA and complete Project Work for 9 marks.
Reduced Practical Syllabus of biology for 2022-23
A: List of Experiments
- Study and describe a locally available common flowering plant, from anyone family: Solanaceae or Liliaceae (Poaceae, Asteraceae or Brassicaceae can be substituted in case of particular geographical location) including dissection and display of floral whorls, anther, and ovary to show a number of chambers (floral formulae and floral diagrams).
- Study of distribution of stomata in the upper and lower surfaces of leaves.
- Separation of plant pigments through paper chromatography.
- Study of the rate of respiration in flower buds/leaf tissue and germinating seeds.
- Test for the presence of sugar in the urine.
- Test for the presence of albumin in the urine.
B: Study/Observer of the following (spotting)
- Parts of a compound microscope.
- Specimens/slides/models and identification with reasons – Bacteria, Oscillatoria, Spirogyra, Rhizopus, mushroom, yeast, liverwort, moss, fern, pine, one monocotyledonous plant, one dicotyledonous plant, and one lichen.
- Virtual specimens/slides/models and identifying features of – Amoeba, Hydra, liver fluke, Ascaris, leech, earthworm, prawn, silkworm, honeybee, snail, starfish, shark, rohu, frog, lizard, pigeon, and rabbit.
- Tissues and diversity in the shape and size of animal cells (squamous epithelium, smooth, skeletal, and cardiac muscle fibers, and mammalian blood smear) through temporary/permanent slides.
- Mitosis in onion root tip cells and animal cells (grasshopper) from permanent slides.
Mark assessment for practical Exams for Biology(30 marks)
- Students need to give 1 major experiment for 5 marks
- Students need to give 1 minor experiment for 4 marks
- Students need to give 1 slide preparation for 5 marks
- Students will be assessed on7 marks on spotting
- Student needs to submit 2 projects and appear for viva for 9 marks
How to Study for CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus?
Once Students download their CBSE Biology syllabus for 2021-22 from here, they need to highlight the topics that need to be covered for the exams. We are adding a few points that can help you to complete the Biology course in time and also help to score some good marks in the exams.
- Make a timetable that can cover the entire updated syllabus
- Make a neat and clean diagram and label the problem to understand the anatomy. Try to remember all the chemical formulas.
- Try to remember the name of various organisms and their parts through storytelling concepts, or make a chart and read them daily.
- Keep daily targets for study and also allot someday to solve class 11 sample papers of Biology and other subjects.
Take Away of the blog:
This blog serves you with the latest and reduced CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus. Students should go through the entire Biology syllabus once and start making notes as suggested above. This will help students to finish the syllabus on time and get some time for a thorough revision of the chapters that are coming in the exams. Students should also focus on books recommended by CBSE. According to CBSE prescribed books to cover Biology subjects are:
- Biology Part – I, Class-11, Published by NCERT.
Students can download the deducted topics and mark them cross in their books pdf. This will help you save time and focus only on what is relevant for March 2021-22 Biology, Physics, Biology, Applied Mathematics papers.
Students Also Asked:
Q. From where can I download the syllabus of Class 11 Biology?
Ans. VSI coaching institute in India is the best website for all the latest updates on the syllabus, question papers, results of classes 11 and 12 of the CBSE board.
Q. How many chapters are deleted in Cbse Biology Class 11th syllabus?
Ans. Complete Chapter 11, 12, 15, and 20 are deleted from the updated syllabus. Some other topics are deleted from other chapters.
Q. How can I finish the CBSE Biology Syllabus on time?
Ans. Join VSI the best coaching institute in India that provides the best faculties, best study materials, and best guidance to understand the complete course and also revise the entire syllabus on time.